Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Proprietary software and open source software

a) Is there any problem with simply using the products that these two companies(Microsoft and Apple) create for us?


  • the software is not cheap at all
  • the software has to be updated all the time
  • we have to follow the rules or guide of the software
  • we can do nothing to change the setup of the software
  • some software of Microsoft cannot be used by the products of Apple

b) Why do some people choose to use open-source software such as Linux?

  • the software is cheaper
  • some people have the knowledge to access the code of the software, they can change the program easily because the code of the software is open to the public
  • they can update the software by themselves
  • they are more willing to share the software with others

c) Who owns the right to modify your digital tools? Does it matter at all? Why of why not?

Both the Microsoft and Apple owns the right to modify my digital tools. I always use the software of Microsoft to do my work. Also, I have use the products of Apple. As they are the proprietary operating system, I cannot change any of the content of the software because the code is not open for the public. Although I have no knowledge to do such changes but I think I am a passive user of those softwares. I must first pay for the software and follow the instructions of the software. I did not have the right to modify the digital tools. Nowadays, I think many products have to coporate with the softwares and many of them were not free. So the users like me were controlled by the software of these proprietary software because we do not have the right to modify the digital tools.

13 comments:

  1. agree with u,
    if we do not have enough knowledge on changing the set up of software, we just like puppet that control by the Microsoft

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you using the term 'puppet'. It is a good word to discribe our situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so, we have to spend so much money on these operating system as we need to keep spending to upgrade those programmes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good answer, i like it! don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes~ it needs to update all the time!!
    and when you are using Microsoft office 2003, you can't open the file in Microsoft office 2007. you are always forced to update, no choice at all.><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it does seem like we become the puppets of these big companies, so even while I cannot change software myself, I also am happy that there are people who can do so using open source products

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, i agree. Besides,many people may not be familiar with using Apple and they may think it is time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree with you.
    I think it is too many restriction when we use Mircosoft/Apple software. Also, it is quite expensive for us to affort but those software may not be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, since it covers on the problem of copy right, they may own the right of modifying our digital tools

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Anna:
    Yes! It is the big problem for the microsoft word. It creates problem to save as the file.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To June:
    Strongly agree with you!
    Some softwares were not necessary for us to use but it is forced to install at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I havent left msg to you!!!!
    Your points are clear and well organised!!
    Microsoft does have the right to modify their product, they do care their privacy and protect them seriously!hahahahaaaaaaa, All actions mainly for making money.

    ReplyDelete